WordPress Maintenance Tasks to Perform in your Spare Time
Keeping your WordPress website running like a well-oiled machine is a vital part of website maintenance and can feel overwhelming at times.
There are a lot of moving parts and different areas that you should keep on top of.
1. Backup your website on a regular basis, this is like an insurance policy for your business. Keep at least 3 copies in different locations.
2. Keep all your files up to date, plugins, theme and core files.
3. Maintain your database. Cleaning out your database every few months will keep it running smoothly and quickly.
4. Review functionality, i.e Check forms and navigation,
5. Check for dead links. Bad links look unprofessional, offer bad user experience and are bad for your Search Engine Optimisation.
6. Check your on-page SEO. Meta tags, page descriptions, titles and content.
7. Check your security. You can check your website at Sucuri, a free tool which will scan your website and provide details of any malware.
8. Check your website speed. Analyse your website and make it faster at GtMetrix. Use the Google page speed insights tool to see which areas of your website needs attention to increase speed, an important ranking factor with Google and all the major search engines.
9. Run your website through Google Webmaster tools to check for any errors.
10. Consider installing a security plugin such as Ithemes Security. The free version is excellent and will tighten up the security of your website against brute force attacks by hackers.
Keep your website up to date and you, your users and Google will love you for it!